There's a bit of prep chopping veggies, but after that, this is an easy, one-pot dish that can be prepared ahead of time. Enjoy!
- 1 small onion
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tblsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small yam (or sweet potato)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (you can use a bit of tumeric, coriander & garam masala instead, if you like)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger (powder)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (I always add a bit more cinnamon because I really like it -- up to you)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (uncooked)
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock (you can substitute some of the stock with water)
- handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cashews (roughly chopped)
- 2 green onions or chives (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup dark raisins (optional)
After the quinoa is cooked, toss cashews, cilantro, green onions and raisins (optional, but very good) in and mix. Put lid on and let sit for about 10 mins. You can sprinkle fresh cilantro over dish when served.
This dish can be made with couscous or rice, but I love quinoa (gluten-free and full of protein and a nice nutty flavour). Enjoy!